It is my honor to be President and Chairman of the Massachusetts Women’s Forum, 175 preeminent Massachusetts women working to promote female leadership in a peer community. It is a heady time for Massachusetts—in addition to our senior Senator Elizabeth Warren, Representatives Niki Tsongas and Katherine Clark, four of our top elected officials are women: Lt. Governor Karyn Polito, State Auditor Suzanne Bump, State Treasurer Deb Goldberg and Attorney General Maura Healey. New data shows that 71% of Massachusetts companies have women on their boards, and 49% have women C-suite officers.
We are a chapter of the International Women’s Forum which enjoys 6,000 members in 33 countries. The IWF advances leadership across the globe and runs two conferences a year that bring together exceptional women of accomplishment from all aspects of society.
The Massachusetts Women’s Forum has been my community and its members a font of wisdom and friendship for over a decade. Most of our events are intimate lunch or dinner programs with a leading speaker. Our annual Women Opening Doors for Women event held in the spring gives emerging female leaders intimate access to Boston’s preeminent women for personal conversation and mentoring. This event has spawned a “little sister” organization Tomorrow’s Women Today founded by Lauren Pimpare. MWF is proud of Lauren and TWT.
I am delighted that we are hosting the 2015 IWF Conference in Boston October 28 – 30.
The Awards dinner and Gala on October 30 will celebrate exceptional women including Boston’s own:
- Professor Susan Hockfield, P.D. President Emerita, MIT
- Professor Paula Johnson, M.D., M.Ph. Executive Director of the Connors Center for Women’s Health and Gender Biology and Division of Women’s Health, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and Professor, Harvard Medical School.
- Gloria Larson, President, Bentley University
- Margaret Marshall, J.D., retired Chief Justice of the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts, and Senior Counsel, Choate, Hall and Stewart LLP
- Micho Spring, Chair, Global Corporate Practice and President, New England of Weber Shandwick
All of these women are global leaders of enormous accomplishment, have changed the world, and are dear to my heart. I look forward to celebrating them with our Boston community and our international guests.